1. What is the most popular 3D modeling program for jewelry designers?
Because every designer, whether a novice or a pro, has different objectives, preferences, and requirements, it would be difficult to point to a single software as being the best one on the market, or as one that is suited to every designer. We can, however, say which ones are the most widely used today. These include Matrix, RhinoGold, JewelCad, and 3Design, with each one having its own strengths. For example, 3Design is considered good for reworking or quickly modifying existing models. For precision and organic modeling, RhinoGold and Matrix are at the top of the list. JewelCad is preferred by some designers because of its suite of powerful, free-form modeling tools. And of course, there are several other excellent 3D modeling programs out there that some designers might find more suitable. Nevertheless, at the end of the day, there is no software out there that is good at everything or good for everyone; the best software to use all boils down to what are the designer’s needs.
2. How long does it take to print a CAD jewelry model?
The actual 3D printing of the jewelry piece only takes 1-2 days once the jewelry design has been perfected and decided upon, but the length of time will be affected by the complexity, size and details in the design. The longest step in the 3D jewelry design creation process is in the creation of the design itself via one of the CAD software programs. When estimating the entire production time, you must also consider casting, finishing and polishing, and stone setting. At Jewelrythis, you can send us your CAD file and have us 3D wax print, cast and finish it for you. Of course, we’ll check your model first to make sure it’s printable and if it needs any changes we’ll let you know before we start 3D printing. If you only have a sketch, but no model, we can help there too. Our expert CAD modelers can turn your sketches and photos into CAD models that can then be 3D printed, cast and finished too.
3. At what stage of the jewelry manufacturing process is 3D printing used?
In the jewelry manufacturing process, 3D printers are most often used just after the 3D designer has created and perfected a digital model. At this point, the 3D printer produces the wax model, which is used for the basis of the physical piece of jewelry. Indeed, because of their speed and efficiency, 3D printers have revolutionized this stage of the jewelry creation process and even the jewelry industry itself. In fact, 3D printing technology has become even more advanced and some printers can actually print in real metals such as gold and silver.
4. I have no CAD experience. Can I still design jewelry that can be 3D printed?
Yes, even if you don’t have CAD experience, it’s possible to have your jewelry designs turned into CAD models and then 3D printed. Our experienced CAD designers only need a sketch or photo of your jewelry idea to work from in order to create a printable CAD model; your beautiful jewelry ideas can be turned into wearable, stunning pieces. Here’s an excellent example of the sketch to finish process on Jewelrythis.
5. In what ways is the CAD jewelry design and printing process better than traditional jewelry design and production?
Ohhhh, let us count the ways (there are so many!)
- CAD jewelry allows for much greater design precision and complexity. CAD jewelry designers can create exquisite jewelry pieces that wouldn’t be possible without this technology. Furthermore, when CAD design is combined with 3D printing technology, the final product is sturdier and more solid than pieces that are soldered together.
- CAD jewelry has brought customized jewelry to whole new levels. Because CAD allows for more complexity, it fosters greater creativity in the design process. As a result, jewelers that use CAD can design pieces that are more unique than ever before. Moreover, because CAD has significantly reduced the time and effort required to produce high-quality beautiful, custom jewelry, it has also made customized jewelry more affordable than ever before. We invite you to try out the custom design process on Jewelrythis and see for yourself just how magnificent jewelry made from CAD jewelry design and printing truly is.
- With CAD jewelry, you also produce renders, which can be shown to the customer before the jewelry piece is even produced. This results in significant savings for jewelers and gives customers greater input into the final jewelry piece. With sophisticated CAD programs and talented designers, renders can be so detailed and beautiful they appear life-like.
- CAD also makes creating variations of previous designs or themes far more efficient and accurate, as files can be copied, changed, saved, and re-designed with relative ease. As a result, the possible variations on these designs are almost limitless!
So there you have it – some of the most commonly asked questions about CAD jewelry design and 3D printing. If you have any other questions, answers or comments that you’d like to add, please feel free to write them in the comment box below. We’d love to hear from you. And while, you’re at it, take a moment to enjoy just a few of the most recent additions to our collection of stunning designs.